baslinux - Re: [BL] BL35 plus Opera 854 problem

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL35 plus Opera 854 problem
  • Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 16:37:15 -0000

Sindi writes

> I forget what video chip/card you are using. Try a libc5 recent tiny X
> server compiled by them in 2007 and posted at X.org and also at my
> website. Tiny X servers are 1/3 the size of the regular ones. They posted
> all as package. If you use dialup I will unpack for you at my site.

I havnt posted anything about this machine before, Its called a Digital Hinote
Ultra 2000, a P2. It has a CT65554 video chipset.

> http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/Xtinyx-480-libc5.tgz
> http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/Xtinyx-480-glibc21.tgz

I just tried to fetch the libc5 one of these but the server told me I have no
permission.
Odd because Im sure I fetched stuff from your site before. Tried both IE and
Wget

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
403 No Readable Content
Dear SDF user or audience member
This URL could not be accessed due to one or more of the following reasons:
The file or parent directory did not have appropriate permissions (run
mkhomepg -p at the
shell) There could be a server issue. However, if you're seeing this, then
most likely not.
Sincerely,
The SDF Public Access UNIX System
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> (I renamed it 480 - the latest version of X being 4.80, whereas BL2 uses
> 3.36 and BL3 something even older).

Google didn't turn it up elsewhere under either 480 or 4.80 but its your
naming so don't suppose it would

> If Xvesa won't work for you, and you cannot find your chip there, try

Ive got 8.54 working with Xvesa, but its a small rectangle in the middle of
the screen and it keeps locking up the machine.

> Xfbdev with a framebuffer-capable kernel (I posted a lot of them in
> 2.4.31 directory). I don't think there is a tiny SVGA server.

Ive seen Xfbdev mentioned but I know nothing about it. Ive had problems
with 2.4 kernels on this machine. I suspect theres a lot of uncommon
chips in it. Stevens zimage from BL3.5 seems by far the best

Are not those files on your website SVGA servers?

> glibc21 - glibc 2.1.X (2.1.3 = Slackware 7.1)
> There is also a 22 (Slackware 8.1) and 23 (Slackware 9.0).

The one recommended for Opera on the BL site is from Slackware 9
that's glibc231.

> Try Opera 9.63 - it worked with Rage video where 8.54 did not work well
> with BL3 Xvesa (big black areas).

Im reluctant after the comparison of Operas, you wrote recently.

Thanks Sindi,

Ian.