baslinux - [BL] Howto get more BL3 filesystem space?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Howto get more BL3 filesystem space?
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 12:01:47 -0800

Maybe this is within a past thread somewhere, but how could I tweak
Basic Linux 3.5 to get more working directory space on the root
filesystem ?? Would it help to reinstall BL3.50 from "scratch"
so-to-speak, modify certain parameters of the various startup files'
command sequences, delete certain unused commends, ... etcetera ??

The PC in question is a desktop Pentium 90 with 2 x 1 GB hdd's, 96MB
RAM, fdd, 32X cdrom, 10/100 Fast Ethernet NIC, no USB.
Currently dual boots DOS 6 and Windows98, with Basic Linux starting on
the hda1 DOS partition from the standard C:\BASLIN\BOOT.BAT startup
sequence ( 'loadlin bzimage root=/dev/loop0 initrd=initfs.gz rw' )

Basic Linux starts fine and dandy. Copied over bzimage with the
BasicLinux bzimage.p1 intended specifically for low-end Pentiums. Also
went ahead and removed the /etc/rc activation of the swap.zip _file_,
and replaced this with swapon-activation of a nice-sized swap
_partition_ on hda2. The system runs quite fast.

Problem is that after installing several of the nice, helpful .tgz
files and needed .o modules at the Basic Linux and Slackware
repositories, I'm left with the following space considerations :
/dev/loop0 mounted on /rt ---20146 1K blocks, 18643 used blocks, 1503
available blocks, 93 percent full
/dev/root.old " on /initrd ---85 1K blocks, 83 used blocks, 2
available blocks, 98 percent full
Of primary concern would seem to be the first /rt fs. I've only got
about 1.4 MB disk space for Basic Linux alone.
Yes, BL3 is running as UMSDOS within the fat16 partition. OTOH,
besides cleaning some things up in the /rt filesystem, is there a
straightforward way to increase the "virtual" space up to and past 4-5
MB ?? Would I really _need_ to recompile the kernel for this ?? Any
way(s) to use another bzimage besides bzimage.p1 or maybe to use
another loadlin startup-sequence setting ??

TY for some good help and clear pointers here.