baslinux - Re: [BL] Howto get more BL3 filesystem space?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Howto get more BL3 filesystem space?
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 20:47:48 -0500

Howto get more BL3 filesystem space?
>> Maybe this is within a past thread somewhere, but how could
>> I tweak Basic Linux 3.5 to get more working directory space
>> on the root filesystem ?? Would it help to reinstall BL3.50
>> from "scratch" so-to-speak, modify certain parameters of the
>> various startup files' command sequences, delete certain
>> unused commends, ... etcetera ??
>>
>> The PC in question is a desktop Pentium 90 with 2 x 1 GB
>> hdd's, 96MB RAM, fdd, 32X cdrom, 10/100 Fast Ethernet NIC,
>> no USB. Currently dual boots DOS 6 and Windows98, with
>> Basic Linux starting on the hda1 DOS partition from the
>> standard C:\BASLIN\BOOT.BAT startup sequence ( 'loadlin bzimage
>> root=/dev/loop0 initrd=initfs.gz rw' )

> My first question is why you'd need more and more filesystem space?

Actually dont need that much; 4-5MB free turns out to be much more
than enough for using various images and files on this PC system.
The 1.4MB free I could get was basically the same size as a
high-density 3.5" floppy.

> And what exactly are you intending to primarily use BL for?

Mostly file manipulation between BL/Linux and Win98.
Also, text-based links/links2, wget, ftp... are all highly desirable.
Playing a few games plus playing mpg3 tunes is okay, as is _maybe_ using X.
AbiWord seems to work as fine on Windows as on Linux, so no special
need for this in BL3.
Certainly no storage of data or extra programs ibn the root filesystem!

Major reasons NOT to use FIPS for repartitioning -- followed by the
install-to-hd script on this PC -- are
1) only about 200MB free space left on hda1 for changing to ext2; hda1
has that Windows98 install partition "C:\", w/ the typically
increasing \Windows directory-size few can ignore :(
2) hdc1 "D:\" is fat32 and I'm over-hesitant to use FIPS on this.

> And how many Add-On packages and modules that you already installed do you
> really need?
>
> You probably wouldn't need ALL of these add-on packages, and with your
> desktop system, you
> could probably just delete the pcmcia and ppp -specific directories and
> files. Also take out some
> devices in /dev such as USB that you'll never use! If you're going to
> reinstall BL anyway,
> I'd keep out X and all the specialized XServers.
> If you really don't need X, this could save some significant space.

Makes some sense, although I'd like to know better what can be safely
deleted e.g., in /dev
Will also play around with having X and not having X and check out the
file-space savings.

> If you are using the loop installation, then you are limited by the default
> file system. 20 MB
> There is a 50 MB replacement available, with some extra stuff already
> included, which may suit you better.
> Find it at: http://www.ausreg.com/bl/bl3/readme.htm

Downloaded and am using this fs.img replacement already. Without
other add-ons and modules, the free filesystem space is already over
7MB. So far, this suits my purposes for this PC quite well. Thanks.