baslinux - Re: [BL] Howto get more BL3 filesystem space?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Howto get more BL3 filesystem space?
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 12:34:17 -0800 (PST)

> Maybe this is within a past thread somewhere, but how could
> I tweak Basic Linux 3.5 to get more working directory space
> on the root filesystem ?? Would it help to reinstall BL3.50
> from "scratch" so-to-speak, modify certain parameters of the
> various startup files' command sequences, delete certain
> unused commends, ... etcetera ??
>
> The PC in question is a desktop Pentium 90 with 2 x 1 GB
> hdd's, 96MB RAM, fdd, 32X cdrom, 10/100 Fast Ethernet NIC,
> no USB. Currently dual boots DOS 6 and Windows98, with
> Basic Linux starting on the hda1 DOS partition from the
> standard C:\BASLIN\BOOT.BAT startup sequence ( 'loadlin bzimage
> root=/dev/loop0 initrd=initfs.gz rw' )

My first question is why you'd need more and more filesystem space?
And what exactly are you intending to primarily use BL for?
And how many Add-On packages and modules that you already installed do you
really need?

You probably wouldn't need ALL of these add-on packages, and with your
desktop system, you could probably just delete the pcmcia and ppp -specific
directories and files. Also take out some devices in /dev such as USB that
you'll never use! If you're going to reinstall BL anyway, I'd keep out X and
all the specialized XServers.
If you really don't need X, this could save some significant space.

Probably some better suggestions from others.
Just 2c here.