baslinux - Re: [BL] framebuffer BL3 package

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] framebuffer BL3 package
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 01:56:56 +0000 (UTC)

This xfbdev (Xfbdev) uses less memory than SVGA X server and is easier to
set up. It may not work with all programs, such as mplayer, with certain
video cards. It may not work at all with some video cards. Stick with
Xvesa if it works. Xvesa is useless with half of my laptops. Maybe the
latest Xvesa can do neomagic? Xorg posts Xvesa and Xfbdev for libc5.

Sindi Keesan

After I installed no-xvesa.tgz (with cursor font, rgb.txt, and a default XF86Config) and XF86_SVGA (symlinked to X), X with neomagic worked perfectly on my Compaq Presario 1230 other than the mouse.

Steven, in addition to the default "Microsoft" please add to XF86Config
a commented-out line with "PS/2" instead. My 486 and later laptops all have onboard PS/2 mice.

800x600 resolution 8 bit color works but I changed to 15 (1MB RAM) and it tells me it is using 16 bpp, Depth 15.

(This could also be a commented-out line in default XF86Config).

A site "Linux on the Compaq Presario 1000 Series" suggested the middle of Steven's three 640x480 31.5 lines without -HSync +VSync - why? Also the same 800x600 40.0. These two modelines lines worked (with the others commented out). So did the last 640x480 line. Is one better than the others? X takes 12 sec to load (with jwm) the first time.

HorizSync 31.5 - 40.0 worked (so did the default 31.5 - 37.5)
VertRefresh 60-75 [spaces optional?] (default 55-90 also worked)

Abiword and xli work properly with SVGA server.

SVGA X server works fine in 96MB RMA, but it uses 20MB of memory, versus 8.5MB with xfbdev. jwm and xinit use another 11MB. rxvt another 6MB. (I don't know how I was running Opera in 24MB with Xvesa - lots of swapping to disk?).

Xfbdev is the only solution I know to do X with neomagic video on a laptop with little memory. 32MB should work. Maybe 24MB.

Since BL3 has a lovely menu you don't need to switch VTs (which crashes xfbdev). Remove Abiword and xli from the menu (they also crash it).