baslinux - [BL] framebuffer BL3 package

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] framebuffer BL3 package
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 19:32:32 +0000 (UTC)

My Compaq Presario 1230, Hitachi, Gateway and probably other laptops use neomagic chips which the Xvesa in BL (and maybe also newer Xvesas) cannot handle - you get messy vertical stripes and need to reboot.

I packaged the things you need to switch to using xfbdev (framebuffer X) instead in http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/bl3fbpkg.tgz. Install the pkg with pkg to BL3.

This modifies startx, and adds cursor.pcf.gz and modifies fonts.dir for BL3. DO NOT USE in BL2 (it will mess up your fonts and also not work).
And it puts xfbdev in /usr/X11R6/bin. (You can then delete Xvesa to save space).

Boot with a framebuffer kernel (I posted 2.2.26 bzimfbcd.226, and 2.4.31 versions - for which you also need 2.4.31 modules) and vga=788 or vga=791 in lilo or on the loadlin line. This will also give you nicer looking text, especially on laptops with bad looking text or text that does not fill the screen.

I also posted a while back a 2-FD BL3 modified to use framebuffer 2.2.26 kernel and xfbdev instead of Xvesa.

This xfbdev (Xfbdev) uses less memory than SVGA X server and is easier to set up. It may not work with all programs, such as mplayer, with certain video cards. It may not work at all with some video cards. Stick with Xvesa if it works. Xvesa is useless with half of my laptops. Maybe the latest Xvesa can do neomagic? Xorg posts Xvesa and Xfbdev for libc5.

Sindi Keesan