baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 wireless networking

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 wireless networking
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:59:29 +0000 (UTC)

I recently purchased several Orinoco Gold

How do you know if you have a Silver or a Gold?

It's printed on the label: Orinoco Gold

Mine is labelled only Truemobile.

iwlist says it has 2 key sizes, 40 and 104 bits - is this Gold?

iwconfig tells me it is in managed mode

That mode requires an access point. It cannot
connect to other wireless cards (just like two
cell phones in the same room cannot directly
connect to each other).

Yes. I have not yet tried ad-hoc mode (which you explained how to use with port_type=3).

and also lists ESSID and Nickname.

It also lists the encryption key and information
about the connection (bit rate, sensitivity, etc.).

iwlist list lists the available number of keys and bitrates and power and cheannel/frequency, but

iwlist eth0 ap
Interface doesn't have a list of access points.
How else might I get this information?

airo_cs gives access points, orinoco does not for my three orinoco cards (MN-520, Linksys ver 3), wvlan does not for the Truemobile.

Like orinoco_cs, wvlan_cs does not support iwlist.

The following seem to work:
-------------------

Two ways to type each one:

iwlist eth0 freq = channel
iwlist eth0 ap = access points
iwlist eth0 bitrate = rate
iwlist eth0 keys = encryption
iwlist eth0 power - iwlist eth0 txpower
-------------------

Which tools worked for you?

iwconfig - very, very useful
iwlist - provides useful information
iwgetid - just provides the ESSID
iwspy - "No statistics to collect"
iwpriv - "no private ioctls"

I got the same for these with managed mode.

I am using port_type=3 (ad-hoc mode).
You may get different responses from
these utilities when using the default
mode (port_type=1).