baslinux - Re: [BL] problem with ST238 Hard Disk

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] problem with ST238 Hard Disk
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 22:34:36 -0700 (PDT)

Hello, Steven, hello Sindi,

Thanks for your help, I read all your suggestions and that helped me to get a
little deeper in the problem.
Yes, I used to have an old XT on my desk, and now I have a PENTIUM 133 mother
Gigabyte GA586S Rev1.22C Mainboard Socket-7 & Pentium 133,
3xISA, 5xPCI, 4xRAM-Sockel 72Pin, 3xIDE Socket. I have 16 Mb RAM installed,
and the ST238. It is very old, but I had it on my XT and, as I don´t plan to
use it again, I thought It would be usefull for beginning with linux. Here in
Argentina an old IDE drive is almost so expensive as a new 80 Gb unit, about
50 dollars, so perhaps I buy a new one for my Pentium3 in the future and use
for Linux the 40Gb unit I run now. I don´t know anyway how much would the
P133 recognize from it...

I did all as suggested with the bzimage from slackware 7.1, in xt.i folder,
and modified BOOT.bat. It runned a bit further and recognizes the ST238, but
it halts when INITFS tries to execute what follows:

mount -t msdos /dev/hda1 /DOS 2>/dev/null
test -e /DOS/baslin/fs.img && break
umount /DOS 2>/dev/null
echo '/baslin/fs.img not found on /dev/hda1'

mount -t msdos /dev/hda2 /DOS 2>/dev/null
test -e /DOS/baslin/fs.img && break
umount /DOS 2>/dev/null
echo '/baslin/fs.img not found on /dev/hda2'

mount -t msdos /dev/hda3 /DOS 2>/dev/null
test -e /DOS/baslin/fs.img && break
umount /DOS 2>/dev/null
echo '/baslin/fs.img not found on /dev/hda3'

mount -t msdos /dev/hda4 /DOS 2>/dev/null
test -e /DOS/baslin/fs.img && break
umount /DOS 2>/dev/null
echo '/baslin/fs.img not found on /dev/hda4'

mount -t msdos /dev/hdb1 /DOS 2>/dev/null
test -e /DOS/baslin/fs.img && break
umount /DOS 2>/dev/null
echo '/baslin/fs.img not found on /dev/hdb1'

mount -t msdos /dev/hdc1 /DOS 2>/dev/null
test -e /DOS/baslin/fs.img && break
umount /DOS 2>/dev/null
echo '/baslin/fs.img not found on /dev/hdc1'

mount -t msdos /dev/hdd1 /DOS 2>/dev/null
test -e /DOS/baslin/fs.img && break
umount /DOS 2>/dev/null
echo '/baslin/fs.img not found on /dev/hdd1'

I see that now Linux detects my Seagate, and it recognizes it as "xda" or
"xda1". I am an absolute beginner to linux, but I worked woth some
programming during Electronic Engineering, and I suppose it would stay
something like "xda1" instead of "hda, hdb, hdc...". But I don´t know how it
should mount the blocks of RAMDISK, so I didn't modified INITFS yet.

Thanks for your help again, I append some new images of my booting for
illustration at http://www.esnips.com/web/caralb1-Varios

Cheers,

Carlos

Yahoo! MTV Blog & Rock >¡Cuéntanos tu historia, inspira una canción y
gánate un viaje a los Premios MTV! Participa aquí http://mtvla.yahoo.com/