baslinux - Re: [BL] Cisco Aironet 350 wireless card on Toshiba T4800CT

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Cisco Aironet 350 wireless card on Toshiba T4800CT
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 16:24:35 +0000 (UTC)

Keep in mind that wireless networking is more
complicated because there are several additional
parameters (eg encryption, channel) that need to
be correct for the connection to work. These can
be set by a utility (eg iwconfig); or, if you know
the exact parameters, they can be put in an option
line in /etc/pcmcia/config. However, if you are
trying to connect to a stranger's wireless network
(with unknown parameters), you really need some
sort of wireless utility.

To download large files, I use my neighbor's unsecured connection (with her permission, from her deck because her signal is quite weak). You don't need wireless utilities if you don't care whose signal you are using (the strongest one).

pcmcia start (with correct config for my wireless pcmcia card)

udhcpc
(or since I know her router IP number I can
ifconfig eth0 her-IP-number+5
instead)

To test the connection I can use iwconfig or ping her router.
Since it is a weak and variable connection, iwconfig reports
variable connection strength.

iwconfig can specify the essid or channel
iwlist can specify very little other than accesspoints and it does not even work for orinoco.

I keep a backup of resolv.conf, because the udhcpc script (/usr/share/udhcpc) overwrites mine and uses her router (?) as the DNS server then my modem connection no longer works until I restore the original resolv.conf (which contains DNS server IP numbers).