baslinux - Re: [BL] Very small console CD player for BL, was Re: BL3 + Sound Blaster

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Very small console CD player for BL, was Re: BL3 + Sound Blaster
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 14:04:01 -0300

>>> Very odd. Do you use the same speakers every time, and also with
Windows?

>> Yes I do. The same to speakers and headphones, which I prefer. ...

>Powered ISA sound cards let you choose between the two outputs (or use a
>volume dial). I thought the difference was just in loudness.

I agree.

>>> Ctrl-Alt-F2 gets you a full-screen terminal to run it in, white on
black.
>>> I have never used it under X. What does it look like? Maybe you can
>>> design an rxvt (xterm) that looks better.

I think this will work. Can I put 'Ctrl-Alt-F2' in a shell script?

>> As a provisory solution, I've printed that menu and I keep it near the
>> monitor screen.

>I just looked, and in BL2 (with whatever default font I am using), I am
>seeing the wrong characters too.

>Archive search:
>https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2004-May/004228.html

>"In order to save space, most of the fonts in BL3 have been stripped of
>international characters". (This is the fonts in misc).

I intend to look for Slackware 4.0 fonts as suggested.
I need the international fonts, with accents ( latin america, or
portuguese-br, which allows me having words like " àçêntüádô ", for
example).

------------------------------

>mcdp is a console cd player that also includes volume control (unlike
>dcd). 29K bz2. I typed 'make' and a few seconds later had 'mcdp'
>executable. 17K (stripped or not) compiled against glibc 2.2.5. 2K mcdp.1

>I typed 'mcdp' and was told 'no disk e/c' in red, in a regular console or
>an rxvt. Ctrl-C got me a ByeBye.

>The screenshot shows lots of colors against a fancy background (which
>background might be part of someone's wm).

>There is a doc directory with instructions for compiling if
>you want to edit the Makefile and params.h (change keys, colors, etc.)
>Params.h says it is vt100, xterm, linux, xterm-color compatible.

>It needs kernel 2.2 or later, and any libc.

>I am not set up to compile for BL3 (until I learn to cross-compile).

>14K for uclibc-dynamic version.

>I just spent 30 min looking for instructions on how to compile statically
>against uclibc and finally tried the BL archives and found my own
>instructions from compiling nano (someone must have helped with this).

>make CFLAGS="--static". I now have a 32K mcdp-uclibc.

>http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/mcdp-uclibc.tgz 17K
>For any linux.

>http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/mcdp-glibc225.tgz 11K
>Needs glibc 2.2.5 update (SW8.1).

>These include the man page in html format.

>tar -zxvf in /tmp, then copy mcdp* to /usr/local/bin/mcdp
>and mcdp.html to wherever you like (BL3 man directory, /usr/local/share in
>BL2). There is no built in -h or --help.

>> I'll try to edit it somehow and tell you what I've got.
>Is there some simple GUI CD player you would like to use instead?

None in special.
The others I have read aobut run under Gnome, others under KDE.

By now I can say I'm satisfied with the aspect "sound".
I'll be working on it a little more and if I can do something useful then
I'll write back.

Thanks again,

Teixeira