baslinux - Re: [BL] Very small console CD player for BL, was Re: BL3 + Sound Blaster

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Very small console CD player for BL, was Re: BL3 + Sound Blaster
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 21:27:40 -0300

> strange.
> so

> black.

It works!

>> I think this will work. Can I put 'Ctrl-Alt-F2' in a shell script?

>I don't know how. Is this difficult to remember?

Absolutely not!
I want to know about the possibilty of putting keystrokes in a script .

>To return back, type Ctrl-Alt-F5 (or maybe in BL3 it is -F4).

>>> "In order to save space, most of the fonts in BL3 have been stripped of
>>> international characters". (This is the fonts in misc).
>>

>> I intend to look for Slackware 4.0 fonts as suggested.
>> I need the international fonts, with accents ( latin america, or
>> portuguese-br, which allows me having words like " àçêntüádô ", for
>> example).

>>> Xvesa has built-in fonts 5x8 and 6x13, and fonts.dir also lists 9x15
11x19
>>> 14x24 r14 and r12

>I just checked workbone with the default font and most of the characters
>are blanks, but with 6x13 I see upper ASCII (instead of line drawing
>characters that you would see in a console).

>The others I tested don't include upper ascii, including built-in 5x8.

>To make this the permanent font:

>Menu, Edit Settings, JWM menu, rxvt - I think you can just add -fn 6x13
>after the 'rxvt'.

>You can use different fonts in console mode. Ctrl-Alt-F2 to reach console
>(terminal) 2. You can change fonts using kbd.tgz fonts and setfont.
>(You may need to change the mapping - I did for Cyrillic, using setfont
>iso02.f16 -u /usr/lib/kbd/consolefonts/u to get Latin 2 with the
>characters in the right places).

I've found the workbone -a option which draws the menu with standard
characters like
+---| << || >> |---+
and that fits my actual needs.

>>> The problem seems to be that in rxvt workbone displays the upper instead
>>> of lower ascii characters. Capital A with umlaut instead of a
horizontal
>>> line, etc.

>The upper ascii characters are what you need to show Portuguese
>characters. The standard fonts except ones starting in cl have upper
>ascii characters, but Steven omitted them to save space.

Fonts in BL3 work fine for most applications (menus, etc.) and most
languages.
It really neeeds some replacement just for text edition.
( In Portuguese " maçã " stands for " apple ", but " maca " is a kind of
hospital bed ).

>> By now I can say I'm satisfied with the aspect "sound".
>Good.

>I appreciate your help with my hard drive but I think it is physically
>messed up. PQM is complaining again about drive geometry and it will not
>boot to linux if installed as a slave (from a DOS partition on MA) but I
>can use it by booting to DOS floppy disk and then to linux.

I apologize for my mistake when I said "geography" instead of "geometry".

>> I'll be working on it a little more and if I can do something useful then
>> I'll write back.

Teixeira