baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 in 16MB with viewer

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 in 16MB with viewer
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 03:08:33 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

So links2 cannot handle that photo with 16MB RAM and 32MB swap.

That's on BL2, isn't it? With SVGAlib?

Same problem in BL2 or BL3 with that one photo (16MB RAM, 32MB swap) with svgalib and Xvesa. See previous postings. I used your links2 in X in BL3, delilinux links2 in X in BL2, and my links2 svgalib in BL2 and BL3. links2 could handle the photo at lower resolution in svgalib (640 or 800) when given 48MB swap file, but not at 1024. I used 256 colors. WIth 32MB even 640 did not work.

I used a swap file. Maybe a swap partition would work better?
Do you want to try with a swap file and 1.6MB photo?

I can try some other day. I just got links -0.96 working with the Mac and am still sshed to it and online. Downloading a large file makes it very slow to do email at the same time. iCab browser to replace an 8 year old Safari. /usr/local/bin/links - it is not on the path. You need to know where to save files as well: /Users/~

links acts 10 times as fast as Safari on the Mac (Safari with images).

Opera used with 48MB swap was swapping continuously run without images. It might help to reduce the size of Opera (and links) cache.

My experience with BL3 is different: links2
can display a 1.6mb jpeg on BL3 (using Xvesa)
with 16mb RAM and 32mb swap. I can see three
possible reasons for this:

* BL3 runs better in limited RAM than BL2 (true)

* the BL3 links2 is better than your links2 (possible)

* the BL3 Xvesa is better than your SVGAlib (surprising)

These don't appear to be relevant here. BL3 links2 had the same problems, run under Xvesa. It may be the swap file instead of partition.
Or something odd about my very wide photo (2x1280).