baslinux - Re: [BL] Clarity rgdng Opera in BL3?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Clarity rgdng Opera in BL3?
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 22:24:48 -0500

>> Actually went ahead and downloaded both Opera 8.52 -and- 9.21

> 9.24 would probably have worked the same. You don't need to run
> install.sh. You can run them from a wrapper in the directory they
> unpackage to, choosing which version you want to use.

Did this too, directly from the Opera-unpackaged directories for both
Opera versions.
Identical results.

>> Ran the same tar -xzvf and Opera<dir>/install.sh script on both versions.
>> In both cases, starting Opera gave me the exact same error message like
>> this:
>> "Locales not supported with this x server

> "Locales not supported on X server" is normal for BL with Xvesa and opera.

Well then, here it was not the BL3 standard vesa xserver.

>> Call to XQueryColors() failed.
>> Falling back to black/white display"

> What does 'Xvesa -listmodes' tell you?
> Can you view a photo with xli in proper colors?
> Do you know your video chip?

Video chip is an ATI Mach64.

I successfully used for this chip, the xma64 xserver as found at
<favorite Slackware mirror>/slackware-4.0/slakware/x1/ , precisely as
recommended at the
BL3 'How to Replace Xvesa' page at
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/xvesa.html
In 'Step 3: Configure the Xserver', I consistently went by
recommendations to stick to 800x600 throughout the entire XF86Config
file.
No ill effects seen until the above message when running Opera x.xx as
either the wrapper binary or otherwise.