baslinux - [BL] Abiword fonts usable for ghostscript and xdpf

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Abiword fonts usable for ghostscript and xdpf
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 17:19:51 +0000 (UTC)

I just discovered that although ghostscript (8.54 or 8.60) will read most pdf files without needing external fonts, if they are specified such as

/BaseFont /Helvetica-Bold

you need the .pfb fonts (in Slackware gsfonts.tgz along with unneeded .gsf .afm .pfm .pfa) or you can save 2.3MB by symlinking to the AbiSuite fonts.

ln -s /usr/local/AbiSuite/fonts /usr/local/share/ghostscript/fonts

xpdf uses the same fonts and works without an xpdfrc (unless you want to specify the use of other fonts to save space, since the .pfm versions are about 4K each instead of 40K .pfb, and look okay onscreen).

I thought of editing Fontmap.GS to use the smaller fonts but they would not print as legibly. To save a lot of space, you could edit it and point all the aliases at one proportional and one monospaced font, both sans-serif, and even eliminate bold and italic. I have more space than time now.

Neither gs (viewed with svp) nor xpdf was displaying any text or even the background images and lines from my phone bill (which were Helvetica) until I added this symlink.

I have recompiled ghostscript 8.54 to support only feature devices pdf and ps level 3 (not dpfnext ttfont epsf pipe fapi and jbig2) and not to include 'Resources', which I think is for Chinese and Japanese. I configured without support for X ijs jasper but with jbig2dec support, which no longer works because I left out jbig2 as a feature device.
I am recompiling so don't download for an hour.

I also fixed the defaults version to work without init files now.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/gs/gs854-noX-defaults.gz 3MB
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/gs/gs854-noX-HP.gz down to 2.6MB

The default device is deskjet in both cases.

No support for X or svgalib, View with svp, which is based on gs and is much faster than xpdf. The help file is incomplete and you need the README.svp.

Some basic docs and scripts (ps2pdf pdf2ps ps2ascii) are in:
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/gs/gs854-docs-scripts.gz

ftpput does not work for me at sdf.
ftpput -u login -p password ftp.freeshell.org ~keesan/html/bl README.svp

ftpput: invalid number '220 vinland.freeshell.org FTP server (NetBSD-ftpd 20050303) ready.' Do I need to specify port with -P? If so, how do I know what to specify?

I have been using kermit ftp or scp (dbclient) for file transfer.
I tried mini_httpd with wget or links, but they kept stopping in mid transfer and starting over again. Even wget -c started over.