baslinux - Re: [BL] Colours, or lack thereof

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Colours, or lack thereof
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 19:59:46 +0000 (UTC)

The color scheme in jwm was designed for 256 or more
colors. If you have only 16 colors, it will be forced
to choose an available color, which can be less than
ideal. Apparently bluish grey shows as black on your
system.

Would icewm work better in 16 colors?

After all my Windows 95 also runs in 4-bit coulour modes,
yet it shows a multiplicity of colours, manipulating the
HW palettes

I know nothing about Windows 95. However, I would
be surprised to find that it is able to create a
multiplicity of colors on a VGA monitor.

It probably dithers the colors, meaning it approximates a missing color by using a mixture of existing ones. This is not very pretty. The early versions of Netscape used to support dithering.

Some of the background colors in Windows show up cross-hatched when using 4-bit color.

not to speak of the national keyboard at least in
the GUI,

I am surprised that none of our foreign-language users
have helped you with this. However, here are the
instructions Chris provided a few years ago for BL1
and BL2:

Is there a link to this at the BL site?

Adding support for foreign language can be divided into:

1. changing font and keyboard layout to proper one.
2. setting linux to show messages in proper language.
3. adding support for other programs like mc.
4. adding manpages in required language

As for Console:
===============
1. changing font and keyboard layout to proper one.

Check and put if required your font into
/usr/lib/kbd/consolefonts (BL1)
/usr/share/kbd/consolefonts (BL2)

I installed kbd.tgz from SW7.1 in BL2 and it puts things in the same place as listed for BL1 - /usr/lib/kbd....

and keyboard
/usr/lib/kbd/keymaps (BL1)
/usr/share/kbd/keymaps (BL2)

Now tell linux to use required font and keyboard map:
(suppose we want to do Polish for BL1)
setfont /usr/lib/kbd/consolefonts/iso02grf.psf
loadkeys /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/pl02.map

I think in BL2 you might have to use 'consolechars"
instead of 'setfont'

I use setfont in BL2.

Test if it works: try `pico`
QUESTION: "It works in pico but not under pure command line!"

(This should read 'PROBLEM' and 'SOLUTION' not 'QUESTION' and 'ANSWER')

ANSWER: Put in ~/.inputrc the following:
--------------------
set meta-flag on
set convert-meta off
set output-meta on
set input-meta on
---------------------

2. setting linux to show messages in proper language.

For example, to do Polish, edit /etc/profile (or: ~/.profile)
and put # before `export LC_ALL=POSIX` and add below:
------------------------
export LANG=pl
export LC_ALL=pl_PL
export LESSCHARSET=latin1
-------------------------

3. adding support for other programs like mc.

In mc set in Options -> Display Bits -> ISO 8859-1 and
Full 8 bits input, and Full 8 bits output.

Links can be set to different languages and fonts too. Setup, Language or Character set. Some languages are not fully translated so you get a mixture of the correct language and English. Maybe Dutch uses 'Downloads' and 'Help' and 'About' as computer terms, but I doubt it uses 'Kill all connections' or 'Save bookmarks' or 'document info' (which I see when I choose Language Dutch).

Load the correct font before starting links (probably in rc).

Lynx lets you set various character sets in Options, Display character set (including 7-bit approximations, for when you don't have a font loaded).
You can also set preferred char set and language to tell remote servers.

4. adding manpages in required language

BL3 has text-format manpages and no way to read the groff-formated ones so I would not try this (nor do you have space to add man pages and you obviously know English well anyway).

You have made amazing progress. Don't give up now!