baslinux - Re: [BL] Yet another clueless n00b - with lotsa questions :=)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Yet another clueless n00b - with lotsa questions :=)
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 05:56:05 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Czerno wrote:

> I installed BasLin 3.5 to this old unfaithful 486 DX2-66
> that's now for a while my only computer, and running Win 95 :-(

Sounds like you are booting the DOS version of BasicLinux

> /<#> startx
>
> Fatal server error: no screens found.
> X connection to :0.0 broken....

This is probably due to a DOS TSR. Try booting a
naked DOS (without AUTOEXEC.BAT without CONFIG.SYS).

> Net adapter ? This is 3COM etherlink III
> (ISA. IO ports @ 0x300. IRQ 10.
> I can't find the appropriate "module"

That will use 3c59x.o or one of the
other 3c modules in the same directory.
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru/add-ons/2_2_26/modules/net/

> is it included ?

No, there's not room for all the modules for all
the various network cards.

> If not, can you pls tell me how/where to find it,

As it says at the BasicLinux homepage:
Additional modules and alternative kernels are here.
Click on the word "here"

> how to install

Put the module in: /lib/modules/2.2.26/misc

> What would the command line be ?

insmod 3c59x (or whatever the module name is)
Then you do your ifconfig/udhcpc (see /root/netsetup)

> I'd like to have the French keyboard decoded, under
> the console and the GUI as well (assuming X can be
> convinced to work.

That can be done, but it's going to take some effort
and a lot of trial and error. Others here have done
it and will be able to give you advice. I have not.

> Is there a WinDOS user friendly text editor under
> BASLIN ?

Simply type: edit

> And no, I don't think I will ever be proficient
> with vi or vim ;=)

Nor I. BasicLinux uses e3pi (similar to pico).
It is much easier than vi.