baslinux - [BL] Yet another clueless n00b - with lotsa questions :=)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Yet another clueless n00b - with lotsa questions :=)
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:49:08 +0200 (CEST)

Dear List,

May I intrude ? Call me Czerno.
I installed BasLin 3.5 to this old unfaithful 486 DX2-66 that's now
for a while my only computer, and running Win 95 :-(

As the title says, I'm a quasi-newbie with Linux (although I have run
those big modern distros with GUIs on beefier systems) and I would
appreciate a hand to have me started. I read months of archives of
this list, but couldn't find answers to my beginner's problems.

OK, let's go : 'puter boots to the Linux command line (shell)
alright.

1)GUI ? ... Ooops, no way! (My graphics adapter is S3 801.)

/<#> startx

Fatal server error: no screens found.
X connection to :0.0 broken....

2)Net adapter ? This is 3COM etherlink III (ISA. IO ports @ 0x300.
IRQ 10.
I can't find the appropriate "module" : is it included ? If not, can
you pls tell me how/where to find it, how to install [do I just copy
the module.o to the Baslin directory under the DOS FAT16 partition?
What would the command line be ?]

3)Keyboard : I'd like to have the French keyboard decoded, under the
console and the GUI as well(assuming X can be convinced to work.

I guess that'll be enough questions for a first post. I'd really love
getting BasLin to work on this system, and thank you all VM for your
expected help. Just don't forget that I am almost Linux illiterate
please - I'd prefer to do the preparatory steps (like editing config
files...) under DOS or Windows lest I goof completely. Is there a
WinDOS user friendly text editor under BASLIN ? And no, I don't think
I will ever be proficient with vi or vim ;=)

A last word - of appreciation and thanks to the author(s) who made
this available!

--
Czerno

Profitez des connaissances, des opinions et des expériences des internautes
sur Yahoo! Questions/Réponses
http://fr.answers.yahoo.com