baslinux - Re: [BL] Yet another clueless n00b - with lotsa questions :=)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Yet another clueless n00b - with lotsa questions :=)
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:24:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

OK, let's go : 'puter boots to the Linux command line (shell)
alright.

1)GUI ? ... Ooops, no way! (My graphics adapter is S3 801.)

/<#> startx

Fatal server error: no screens found.
X connection to :0.0 broken....

A typical cause for this problem is that you've booted from a DOS that has loaded various memory management utilities. These are not unloaded before BL (i.e., BL booted from a DOS partition) boots. They tend to foul up the graphics program that Linux runs. Since you seem to be booting BL from a
Win95 partition, this could well be the cause of your problem. Try booting to a bare DOS, bypassing the system files (autoexec.bat and config.sys), then booting BL and issuing startx. Does that get you to the gui?

2)Net adapter ? This is 3COM etherlink III (ISA. IO ports @ 0x300.
IRQ 10.
I can't find the appropriate "module" : is it included ? If not, can
you pls tell me how/where to find it, how to install [do I just copy
the module.o to the Baslin directory under the DOS FAT16 partition?
What would the command line be ?]

You can download the module from the internet. BL modules are linked to from the main BL site. Steven can probably tell you which module it is you need and whether a so-called "helper module" will be needed as well. You can copy that module to any location on your DOS partition--just remember where. You can access your DOS partition from within BL and load it. You'd use something like * insmod /DOS/path/to/mymodule.o * from the command line. Once you're booted into BL you can, of course, copy the module over to the BL file system easily if you so desire. More will be required to get you online depending on whether you have a dhcp server on your network or whether you assign IP's manually.

3)Keyboard : I'd like to have the French keyboard decoded, under the
console and the GUI as well(assuming X can be convinced to work.

I'll have to pass on that one, but others onlist should be able to help. All I can say is I'm sure it can be done.

expected help. Just don't forget that I am almost Linux illiterate
please - I'd prefer to do the preparatory steps (like editing config
files...) under DOS or Windows lest I goof completely. Is there a
WinDOS user friendly text editor under BASLIN ? And no, I don't think
I will ever be proficient with vi or vim ;=)

BL's built-in editor is very simple and you should be able to master it easily. It's called e3pi. You could undoubtedly install some other if you decide you don't like e3pi. I wouldn't edit config files under Win/DOS though, unless you can find an editor that can format your files for unixish system use (end-of-line markers differ, and this can render config files that were edited under Win/DOS ineffectual under Linux).

James