baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 on a 166MHz laptop

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 on a 166MHz laptop
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:01:35 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 02:20:40AM +0000, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
Someone asked for our help installing some operating system to a laptop
<snip>
works with a 2.2 kernel? What is a Remote Desktop client? Is he trying
to use the laptop as a wireless remote terminal to a desktop or maybe just
to share a broadband connection?

Without inquiring further it's hard to say what he's asking for. Remote Desktop is a terminology I most often associate with Windows and the ability of more recent versions of Windows to allow other machines to log in and use the desktop remotely. Certain versions of Win2K can do this and XP Pro has it built in. A Linux client has been developed for this, but it's alot newer than BL: I first started hearing about it about 3 years ago. Unless you were to compile something and do alot of troubleshooting, I wouldn't expect that client to work on BL. If he would be satisfied with something like VNC, I'd say chances of getting a version of that running under BL are much better--though it would probably still involve some work. My experiences with VNC have been a bit disappointing: it can be useful in a pinch, but I'd hate to have to rely on it on a regular basis.

Would VNC installed on a Windows desktop and a linux laptop allow the linux laptop to run programs on the desktop? It seems to be something that uses a web browser with Java support to access the desktop and do file transfers. You could already do that with fttpd on the laptop.

On a separate note concerning wireless (mentioned in your post). Having done some more research recently on wireless networking, I'm beginning to think that older wireless cards, though they can be made to work under BL, really should be avoided--or at least should be used only in certain circumstances. It is just too easy to eavesdrop on wireless networks that don't have the latest encryption schemes implemented (WPA, WPA2), and older wireless cards, by definition, cannot handle that sort of encryption. I would hesitate to send any username/password information using such a connection, and would definitely _never_ do any sort of financial transactions using one (credit card purchases, banking).
> > James

Thanks for the warning. Yesterday a friend mentioned he had used his laptop with wireless connection at a friend's house, and someone put a trojan on his (WinXP) computer (he found and removed it) which allowed them to steal banking data while he was doing a banking transaction, and run up a $100 bill (for downloaded videos) on his debit card (which he discovered lets him withdraw more than is in the account, with a $35 fine).

Is there any danger in using any wireless card for just browsing at the public library via their fast connection? Should I avoid connecting to my sdf account via wireless? I think the library uses some sort of encryption, but do I need to set it up on my computer?

I have a Cisco Aironet (340) which works with kernel 2.2 and has a fairly good range (between rooms).

340 350 PCM341 PCM342 PCM352 etc. at ebay sold for $10-33 plus $4-10 shipping. 11Mbps is non-cardbus. There are plenty avaiable, probably because newer laptops come with built-in wireless.

The 340 series is designed for larger indoor facilities. There are instructions on the web for adding an external antenna.

I will ask what is on the desktop and what exactly he wants to do besides browse. Would scp work over a LAN for file transfer?