baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 on a 166MHz laptop

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 on a 166MHz laptop
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 23:05:23 -0400

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 02:20:40AM +0000, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
> Someone asked for our help installing some operating system to a laptop
<snip>
> works with a 2.2 kernel? What is a Remote Desktop client? Is he trying
> to use the laptop as a wireless remote terminal to a desktop or maybe just
> to share a broadband connection?

Without inquiring further it's hard to say what he's asking for. Remote
Desktop is a terminology I most often associate
with Windows and the ability of more recent versions of Windows to allow
other machines to log in and use the desktop
remotely. Certain versions of Win2K can do this and XP Pro has it built in. A
Linux client has been developed for this,
but it's alot newer than BL: I first started hearing about it about 3 years
ago. Unless you were to compile something
and do alot of troubleshooting, I wouldn't expect that client to work on BL.
If he would be satisfied with something
like VNC, I'd say chances of getting a version of that running under BL are
much better--though it would probably still
involve some work. My experiences with VNC have been a bit disappointing: it
can be useful in a pinch, but I'd hate to
have to rely on it on a regular basis.

On a separate note concerning wireless (mentioned in your post). Having done
some more research recently on wireless
networking, I'm beginning to think that older wireless cards, though they can
be made to work under BL, really should
be avoided--or at least should be used only in certain circumstances. It is
just too easy to eavesdrop on wireless
networks that don't have the latest encryption schemes implemented (WPA,
WPA2), and older wireless cards, by
definition, cannot handle that sort of encryption. I would hesitate to send
any username/password information using
such a connection, and would definitely _never_ do any sort of financial
transactions using one (credit card purchases,
banking).

James