baslinux - [BL] BL3 on a 166MHz laptop

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL3 on a 166MHz laptop
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 02:20:40 +0000 (UTC)

Someone asked for our help installing some operating system to a laptop computer with an empty hard drive (no OS) and no floppy drive. Will BL3 work for the following, assuming he has a non-cardbus wireless card that works with a 2.2 kernel? What is a Remote Desktop client? Is he trying to use the laptop as a wireless remote terminal to a desktop or maybe just to share a broadband connection? Steven already explained how to share a modem connection with a default gateway and a few modules and a firewall.

My Cisco wireless card worked with BL3.40. If he uses BL he would need a 2.2-kernel-compatible wireless card. My linksys needed 2.4 kernel. I found instructions on how to use a USB wireless card in linux but I doubt he has USB on the laptop.

We plan to temporarily move his hard drive to another laptop computer, or to an adaptor that fits into a desktop, then format and install via floppy disk and/or CD and/or USB flash drive. Unless it can be made to boot from a parallel port zip drive. It does NOT boot from CD-ROM drive and has no floppy drive.

We could partition his 2 GB and give BL 200MB to play in and put DSL on the rest for a while, since he has broadband to download it and lots of RAM.

Any ideas?

Sindi

From the laptop owner:

My objective is to get this thing to run a web browser and Remote Desktop
client and work with a PCMCIA wireless card (I'll have to dig; I'm not sure
I have one of those), so either Linux or Windows 2000 will work AFAIK.

IIRC it has a 2 GB HD and 72 MB RAM. Plently for Windows 2000 and probably
some thin Linux distros.