baslinux - Re: [BL] Regarding multi-user setup in BL3.40

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Regarding multi-user setup in BL3.40
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 20:48:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

To run BL3 as user, in addition to deleting the line
in /etc/profile, you also need to change permissions
on devices ?ty* urandom null dsp* lp* (666)
make /tmp o+rw
Ditto for /download
eznet needs to be suid and user-executable
ppp-on and ppp-off need to be symlinked to some place
on the path such as /usr/bin.
And make Xvesa suid (or add a regular X with startx
and Xwrapper

Steven would you want to include the above changes
in BL3.50

No.

and add /usr/X11R6/bin/Xwrapper (4960 bytes in BL2),
and /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config

No.

I have listed in one place what you need to do to BL3
to make it work for 'user'.

Again (for the benefit of new users), the above changes
are completely unnecessary for BL3. Sindi is trying to
run BL3 as a non-root user (which I do not recommend).
BL3 works fine for root users (which is the default).

I am setting up BL3 for friends to use online with Opera. I have never had problems with security as root, but running as user makes it even more secure. Opera is supposedly rather buggy. It also reduces the chance of them messing up the installation accidentally. Load modules in rc, then login as user.

Steven, have you used Opera with BL3.50 as root? When I tried, opera (8.5) could not find libX11.so.6. I have both libc5 and libc6 (2.2.5). I tried with the additional X libraries from libc5 or libc6 (with one of them it could not find libXext either). I probably did something dumb, but please check.

Is there a way to check for dependencies that a library has?