baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.5

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.5
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 00:14:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================

Sindi wrote:

The arrow keys work (after remapping with
xmodmap) if I first move the mouse pointer
to on top of the menu.

That is not necessary.

I can't seem to remap the keys on my keyboard so that the number-pad arrow keys work exactly like the others.

They work within an rxvt (e3pi, links) on both types of keyboard, after I remap the keys with xmodmap, but only the non-number-pad arrow keys work inside the menu. And if I do remap the keys, the non-number-pad ones no longer do anything OUTSIDE OF the menu.

So I would need to switch keyboards any time I wanted to use the JWM menu without a mouse. We used to have a keyboard switch box.

I don't recall if SWM required that.

It doesn't.

It might, with my keyboard.

This JWM appears to need a mouse.

That is incorrect. ALT-F1 opens the menu.
The arrow keys move up and down (and sideways).
The enter key selects.

I have not found a way to get the focus onto the rxvt opened by the menu, without moving the mouse to the rxvt.

The rxvts always seem to center themselves by default. There must be a way to invoke them in upper left corner as is the icewm default.

Apart from that, it works beautifully, much nicer than SWM. Alt-F1 for the menu, use the newer arrow keys to select Xterm, move the mouse pointer to the xterm, Alt-F2 to bring up a menu accessible with these arrow keys that lets me resize or move the rxvt with the arrow keys.

Can one switch between rxvts with the keyboard? Is there an online manual?

I have poor aim with a mouse but the rxvt is a big target.
I plugged in a very small touchpad and it fits next to the keyboard in the keyboard drawer (since it is a narrow keyboard).