baslinux - Re: [BL] [delete] Which is Smaller, X or Svgalib? 66

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] [delete] Which is Smaller, X or Svgalib? 66
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 05:44:07 +0000 (UTC)

I did not add up numbers for libm libc and ld-linux because they are used by all the image-viewing approaches.

+ 200K for Zgv

That's 3.76MB just for _viewing_ images with Svgalib (glibc2)

But we haven't covered _editing_ images, and those apps+dependencies
are always larger than just viewing apps+dependencies.

netpbm performs the image manipulation functions, and the files are quite small, under 20K. flip, rotate, clip, pad, concatenate, etc. No GUI.
It does require a 190K library to go with them.

---------------

For viewing _and_ editing images with X, I came up with
5.5MB for glibc2. Without even trying.

That is nearly 2MB larger.

The majority of that is for image _editing_. Xv is 874K and there
are several 200K and less X image viewers with fewer dependencies
than Xv.

xli does not view pbm files seejpeg and zgv do

Also, the xserver and libs include a _lot_ of networking and windowing
functions, which have nothing to do with viewing or editing images.

I don't need any of that to view or manipulate an image.
X is designed to run GUIs. svgalib only to display graphics.

I think we can clearly see above just why Steven chose X instead
of Svgalib for BasicLinux.

BL1 is based on libvga, BL3 on X. He tried both. There is not room on 2 floppy disks to include the two of them.

For less space (etc.) than Svgalib requires to just view images,
you get image viewing _and_ remote-login graphical networking
_and_ an integrated graphical windowing system.

You do? 5.5MB is less than 3.76MB?

My window manager, failsafewm, is 7K.

Thanks, Sindi. This study is concluded.

X is smaller that Svgalib and does a _lot_ more.

If I stand on my head the world is upside down.

Lee