baslinux - Re: [BL] PowerPoint

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org, ariadne AT ausreg.com, keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] PowerPoint
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 22:10:37 +0000

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 04:40:26PM +1000, Ron Clarke wrote:

[delete]
> > I'd say that I am probably the closest (because I don't mess
> > around with printing or MIME or video or audio or PDF/PS or
> > Windows' files or a GUI browser...)
>
> I would guess that that is because you don't need to use those things
> for your job/career/education or amusement.

One arranges ones life as one wishes. No is _forced_ to use any
of those applications. I wouldn't _do_ anything that required
their use.

As for needing them for amusement, specifically, I find that
notion to be preposterous. There are about a million ways to
amuse oneself, and the overwhelming majority don't require a
computer, much less those specific programs.

I'm into tiny linux out of principles. Same reason I use a
dial-up connection as long as I am operating as a simple user
(not running a serious server, etc.).

Live simply that others might simply live.

Ghandi said that. As well as a lot of other folks generally considered
to be wise beyond the norm, throughout history.

The more software you have, and the more complex that software
is, and the faster your connection, the more hardware and energy
you require. Both on your computer and for your share of the
Internet's infrastructure and its operation.

That hardware and energy is produced by Industry. Mines and
powerplants and factories and such. Environmental degradation.

I included the crosspost to Sindi because she claims to be an
environmentalist.

> > but I _do_ have development tools that add scores of megabytes to the
> > size of BL.
>
> OK, I guess I was wrong about your amusement. :)

I find it _very_ entertaining, Ron,

A lot of people do. Be thankful. Without them you wouldn't have an OS or
any applications, or an Internet.

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful