baslinux - Re: [BL] Linux Desk Reference and busybox and rpm

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Linux Desk Reference and busybox and rpm
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 18:31:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Even to use with a 2.2.16 kernel in BL2?

Why would you want to use a 2.2.16 kernel with
BL2? The 2.2.26 kernel works great with BL2.

Because I compiled my own custom kernels which are smaller than your 'big' one and I don't want to make config again, and the kernel source is a long download. I have even compiled kernels slightly smaller than your small one because my laptops don't need ISA support or probably a few other things in your kernel. 2.2.26 supports USB but I only have USB-storage devices not mice or keyboards or printers.

On desktops I use 2.4.31 now because it supports USB-storage and I have enough RAM. Or 2.2.26 for computers without USB ports. I use 2.2.16 on laptops with 12MB RAM except if I need USB-storage support.

I could download source code at a neighbor's house and compile one minimalist 2.2.26 kernel for laptop (no ISA, sound, etc.). If I had to.

So would uclibc with 2.2.26 headers produce a gzip that works with 2.2.16 kernel? Or vice versa? Lynx with the 2.4.31-uclibc works with 2.2.26, gzip does not. (There is of course a SW4.0 gzip).