baslinux - [BL] Linux Desk Reference and busybox and rpm

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Linux Desk Reference and busybox and rpm
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 18:45:08 +0000 (UTC)

The local library weekly booksale had the usual linux books (Corel, Essential System Administration) as well as Linux: I Didn't Know You Could Do That, which seems to be aimed at advanced users who want to read what the reviewers at amazon.com describe as humor and tips and tricks.

I found also the 'new' (2000 first ed) Linux Desk Reference, which got excellent reviews as being easier to understand than man pages, and better organized by categories, but in need of proofreading. Scott Hawkins.

Amazon lists many used copies of the 2002 2nd ed (bug fixes?) for $1.21 to $3.50 plus shipping from the US. First edition starts at $1, which is
what I paid without shipping.

Sorted into Parts and Chapters:

Part 1 System Structures - Files (permissions, symlinks, touch...), Processes (ps top kill), standard input/output (2> tee) with long sections on users and bash shell and filesystems and daemons and kernel

Part 2 Manipulating data and text files: cat, less, diff, sort, troff, a small summary of vi, compression

Part 3 Common Tasks - init, startx, scheduling, find, grep, top, security (ipfwadm)

Part 4 Networking (tcp/ip, ftp ping tftp...), NIS and NFS, DOS (xcopy, mdel), mail (elm but not mutt or pine, sendmail, talk)

90% or more is new to me.

kbdrate - changes repeat rate and delay time up to 30 cps and down to 250 ms. (I have only done this in BIOS).

infocomp: compares two termcaps or sets new values

date: a typo of MHH for MMHH (1st ed - get the 2nd)
busybox date -h is too terse to understand

The index could be improved - page numbers are listed as
date: 393,394,395,396,397 not 393-397

Punctuation is also sloppy: locales date and time (for locale's).

The reviews mentioned a lot of minor errors like this.

This book will be useful in configuring busybox.

BL2 busybox was lacking things that are in BL3 busybox (and the later ones compiled by me and Karolis) so needed the bin.tgz package from SW7.1. I just removed bin.tgz, keeping only: zless (script based on zcat = busybox gzip), splitvt, rpm2targz/rpmoffset, and cpio.

Busybox has an 'rpm' which will install rpm packages but I want to just pick pieces out of them after converting to .tar.gz and it appears to only rpm -i package.rpm (install not extract) - LDR helped explain the -h output.

David Moberg provided an rpm2tgz script, based on rpmoffset and the full cpio (it needs an option --makefile), as is rpm2targz. It appears to
unpackage the rpm, not repackage it as a tar.gz. I modified it slightly to make it a one-step not two-step process. I don't know how to tar -zcvf the output and chop off the .rpm and add a .tgz in a script so I also kept rpm2targz.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/rpm2tgz

Mc has its own rpm to tgz convertor not based on rpmoffset or rpm (from busybox or elsewhere) but needing cpio (the screen turned red and I had to kill the process when I removed the /bin/cpio full version).

F2 Menu - Convert x.i386.rpm x.deb x.slp to slackware x.tgz
dep_rpm Extract x.rpm package to subdirectory

My busybox includes which sed patch gawk uuencode uudecode hdparm cpio (as in BL3). I should remove cpio. Are the busybox sed patch gawk adequate?

I replaced busybox tail (from txtutils) because the e3pi I compiled did not work with it. Steven's e3pi (in BL3) is a different version which does not use compression and works without tail. Do I need the full tail for anything?

I have removed packages gzip, bin from BL2, and added /busybox132 to the path (ahead of the old /bin/busybox in case I forgot something). Symlinks should be made to /bin and /usr/bin and maybe /sbin and /usr/sbin for a few of the programs in the new busybox (or simply replace the old one with it eventually) because some programs look in a specific place not just on the path. busybox can install itself with symlinks.

LDR index p. 95 'path, modifying - add a line to .bash_profile (in our case /etc/profile).

PATH=$PATH:/sbin (as an example).
In BL we have " " around the part after =

PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/busybox132:/bin/busybox:."

(The . at the end means to look in the current directory if the executable is not found elsewhere, so I can try out things I compiled without installing them first on the path, and /usr/local/sbin is where I put my own scripts - is there a more standard location?).