baslinux - Re: [BL] Setting up an FTP Server (was: script to extract http://'sfrom a doc)

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Setting up an FTP Server (was: script to extract http://'sfrom a doc)
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 19:53:04 +0000

On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 01:00:53PM +1000, Ron Clarke wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 13:08:11 +0000, Lee Forrest wrote:

> Lee,
> This may sound like a sily question, but why are you looking to
> run an ftp server from your home ? Apart from proving that you can do
> it, what is the point ?

Control. I run the OS that runs the server. I can do anything I want
whenever I want.

> If I was setting out to do what you appear to be doing, I would
> grab a domain (a .com will cost about Aus$16 per YEAR, so about US$12),
> and a hosting service will cost about Aus$100 per year or less.

> For that you get full control of a Linux server account,

No. You get limited control.

> up to 2 GB disk space,

I can get an 80GB hdd for a few bucks and have it running in about
5 minutes.

> 15 or so email accounts,

I don't want 15 mail accounts.

They'd just become spam traps.

> several message boards,

What's that mean? Do you mean web message boards? What would I
want that for?

I can post any messages I want with the FTP banners, etc.

> a number of password protected or anonymous ftp accounts as
> required,

That's vague. Do you mean for administering web servers? I don't
want to run a webserver.

> all controlled by a "controll panel" that also gives you a heap
> of other services including stats, shell accounts,

Shell accounts? Why then the web interface?

> full control over your website (if you want one), and all the
> good things that you never knew you wanted.

Sorry. That's nonsense. You don't have any where _near_ the control and
freedom that I would have doing it the way I am proposing.

> That way, you could run it 24/7/12, using the same net access that
> you are already paying for, and BL2 or BL3 is perfectly capable of
> handling the https required to administer it.

I despise web interfaces. Clumsy and limited and slow. Intolerable with
a dialup connection.

> I have two domains, and a couple of subdomains, ftp
> accounts and stuff - its not difficult, and it a bloody sight
> cheaper than the sort of ISP accounts you have been talking
> about. And my stuff is available for download on a relatively
> fast server.

Sure. But you also have a fast connection.

You wouldn't be happy about a web interface without one.

What does _that_ cost you?

> >> Seems a bit high-priced to me. In larger metr. areas the
> >> big DSL carriers (and their local affiliates) are starting
> >> the lowest tier service at around $15/mo. (purchase 1 yr in
> >> advance).
>
> That alone is more than the cost of hosting a domain.

That's a misnomer. You aren't hosting anything, you are renting
limited _user_ priveleges on a remote computer(s).

Your provider is the host. You are the client.

> > Thanks. It was just a couple of exploratory phone calls. I'm now
> > studying the subject in depth. That's for a business account
> > which, according to the docs, are much more dependable than the
> > consumer accounts.
>
> And my hosted domains have proved to be very dependable for nearly
> two years now. Physically, they exist in Dallas, Texas. :)
>
> OTOH: Maybe you have a reason for wanting to keep the server physically
> at hand ?

Once again, it's a matter of control and freedom. You can administer those
servers within the limitations set by the provider. You don't control the
underlying OS. You don't have root priveleges.

You get what you pay for, eh?

And part of what you are paying for is the easy way out. The route I am
considering taking will force me to really develop my sysadmin skills.

Basically, you have just learned to use a web interface, which is probably
proprietary software that you won't encounter anywhere else.

Money is not the only consideration here.

All that being said, there is much merit to your suggestion. If I could
find a provider that didn't require the use of a web interface, I'd
consider it.

I am wondering why you didn't post the url(s) to this wonderful service
you are talking about.

http://ausreg.com?

Lee

--