baslinux - Re: [BL] Setting up an FTP Server (was: script to extract http://'sfrom a doc)

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Setting up an FTP Server (was: script to extract http://'sfrom a doc)
  • Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 13:00:53 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 13:08:11 +0000, Lee Forrest wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 02:50:16PM -0500, James Miller wrote:

>> On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 05:09:13PM +0000, Lee Forrest wrote:

>> > I've been talking to my local phone company. I can get a DSL
>> > line for $55/mo, up 24-7, with 1.5MB/second download and 1
>> > MB/second upload. Add a big harddrive and I can do a good job
>> > of running an FTP server, which they have no problems with.

Lee,
This may sound like a sily question, but why are you looking to
run an ftp server from your home ? Apart from proving that you can do
it, what is the point ?

If I was setting out to do what you appear to be doing, I would
grab a domain (a .com will cost about Aus$16 per YEAR, so about US$12),
and a hosting service will cost about Aus$100 per year or less. For
that you get full control of a Linux server account, up to 2 GB disk
space, 15 or so email accounts, several message boards, a number of
password protected or anonymous ftp accounts as required, all controlled
by a "controll panel" that also gives you a heap of other services
including stats, shell accounts, full control over your website (if you
want one), and all the good things that you never knew you wanted.
That way, you could run it 24/7/12, using the same net access that
you are already paying for, and BL2 or BL3 is perfectly capable of
handling the https required to administer it.

I have two domains, and a couple of subdomains, ftp accounts and
stuff - its not difficult, and it a bloody sight cheaper than the sort
of ISP accounts you have been talking about. And my stuff is available
for download on a relatively fast server.

>> Seems a bit high-priced to me. In larger metr. areas the
>> big DSL carriers (and their local affiliates) are starting
>> the lowest tier service at around $15/mo. (purchase 1 yr in
>> advance).

That alone is more than the cost of hosting a domain.

> Thanks. It was just a couple of exploratory phone calls. I'm now
> studying the subject in depth. That's for a business account
> which, according to the docs, are much more dependable than the
> consumer accounts.

And my hosted domains have proved to be very dependable for nearly
two years now. Physically, they exist in Dallas, Texas. :)

OTOH: Maybe you have a reason for wanting to keep the server physically
at hand ?

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke