baslinux - Re: [BL] script to extract http://'s from a doc.

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] script to extract http://'s from a doc.
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 02:53:38 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Lee Forrest wrote:

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 07:47:31PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
My new Balinese translator penpal sent me what she said was a few photos,
which is 186K of .doc file containing some long URLs at a German website,
which contains the photos.

This explains why doc2png found nothing.

How do I extract the URLs (any string starting with http://) to a file
that I can then access with lynx or links?

I gather that they aren't links, and note that they may begin with "www" as
well as "http".

These all start with "http:// and end with .html" or .jpg"

I can't tell if the URLs are on one line when viewing with 'less'.
Like most MS files this was mostly repetitive garbage. It looked like one very long line that wrapped a lot.

Even if they are links, and as long as the entire url is on the
same line, this should do the trick:

I cut all but the following to a file which I made executable:

#!/bin/sh

#script.sh
#usage: script.sh file_with_urls

>> newfile

echo "</body></html>" >> newfile

links newfile
---------------

I called it urlextract.

urlextract file.doc

There was nothing in newfile but the HTML tags.

The output file should end in .htm or .html to be recognized as html.
I don't think you need the head and body parts just to access the links.

The input file had one link to an online html file and four to jpg files.

There's a nifty little utility called "urlview" that does this very well. You
might
look into it.

It also extracts things like mailto and has a bunch of dependencies. A small script should be adequate for my purpose.

Lee