baslinux - Re: [BL] Going online as user, summary, was Re: ssh as 'user'

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Going online as user, summary, was Re: ssh as 'user'
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 22:42:40 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Steven, did you compile a later rxvt for BL3 than the SW4.0 version?

To find out:
----------
rxvt -help
----------

Both 2.4.11 as is the Slackware 4.0 version and the Slackware 7.1 version.
Slackware 10.2 uses 2.7.10

BL2 version is XPM, utmp, .Xdefaults (and needs libXpm and ld-linux)
BL3 version is .Xdefaults (needs only libX11 and libc).

Do you have rxvt working for user in BL2?
It still complains about can't open pseudo-tty.

Would XPM or utmp be causing the problem?

I found something online about the pseudoterminal needing to be properly registered in the utmp file. We don't have a /var/log/utmp. Maybe root does not need to be registered but user does? Like pppd works for user only with an /etc/ppp/options but root does not need that.

I really don't understand this.

I could attempt to compile rxvt without XPM and utmp, or keep using xterm which does work.

XPM is X pixmap.

I have two of three computers dialing as user and one working with ssh as user. The third computer wants a /dev/modem and the connect script (eznet up 4) fails even with it. What am I missing?