baslinux - Re: [BL] hd problem

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] hd problem
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 01:31:10 +0000 (UTC)

Going through a few years' worth of saved list mails I found this
(and a lot of nonsense that I posted myself).

Is this midlevel format as good as the 'low-level' format found in the BIOS of some computers which can take overnight? It also lists bad sectors, but mke2fs -c will check for bad blocks. We also have special utilities to do this for Maxtor and Seagate drives.

I found a site saying you don't need a low level format, you can just
zero out the drive with dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

They would both be followed by fdisk and mke2fs (or DOS 'format').

We have saved four 200-233MHz computers with low-level format in BIOS.
We rescue badly partitioned drives with them. dd is smaller than a computer.