baslinux - Re: [BL] pctel modem driver for 2.4.31

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] pctel modem driver for 2.4.31
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 20:37:02 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, sindi keesan wrote:

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, sindi keesan wrote:

Downloaded the latest version (with 2.6 support) which is for several
pctel modems including some AMR ones. You specify kernel and chipset
family during compilation. They mention 2.4 and 2.6 but not older
kernels. The driver is from post-2.2 era.

pctel-0.9.7-9-rht-6.tar.gz (rht is the author's initials)

[see previous in thread for the details]

Inserting ptserial.o gave me 6 unresolved symbols. Someone in Brazil had those with a minor kernel mismatch and was advised to compile his own kernel.

There is also pctel-0.9.6.tar.gz (earlier version, different author)
which has a directory online with a FAQ, which said to fix the unresolved symbols with fixscript.gz, which complained and did not fix the problem.

Next suggestion was to compile your own kernel because the unresolved symbols meant a kernel/kernel header mismatch. I AM using my own comiled kernel.

So I tried 0.9.6 with the same problem.
pctel-2.2.tar.gz had a .configure in which you specify the chip (or leave it as the default, which I have) and the kernel include directory (also the default). After I symlinked linux-2.2.16 to linux in /usr/src it compiled perfectly. (make clean removes mistakes left over from compilng with the wrong kernel headers). Both modules inserted perfectly.

I plugged the phone cord into where it says LINE and it tried to dial and told me 'no dial tone'. Dead modem?

The 2.2.16 modules are here and you can try insmod -f with 2.2.26.
mknod /dev/ttyS15 c 62 79

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.2.16/pctel.o
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.2.16/ptserial.o

Read the online FAQ.

This 'make' created /dev/ttyS15 and installed the modules.

insmod pctel
insmod ptserial

See README if this does not work (might need to specify IDs)

I have a PCT789T-C1.
for which these modules are specific.

Actually any PCT789 should work. I did not need device ID (it is 6897).

I just put in an older lucent modem (1998?) and it connected at 44000 (which the external USR did not have sense to do, it connects at 45333), it does not keep getting underfoot or require turning on power, and I can listen to music and have not yet been disconnected. But now I have no network card (too few slots) until I figure out onboard sound - two video cards (MGA and PCI), modem, sound, USB (dead onboard USB)

How might I identify sound on a nameless board? Is there some program that will tell me this? Hwinfo did not find it.