baslinux - [BL] pctel modem driver for 2.4.31

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] pctel modem driver for 2.4.31
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 04:17:46 +0000 (UTC)

Downloaded the latest version (with 2.6 support) which is for several pctel modems including some AMR ones. You specify kernel and chipset family during compilation. They mention 2.4 and 2.6 but not older kernels. The driver is from post-2.2 era.

pctel-0.9.7-9-rht-6.tar.gz (rht is the author's initials)

You need kernel source code.
You do NOT need perl (it is to identify kernel automatically).
You do NOT need lspci (it lists the contents of /proc/pci).

Unpack, cd to pctel*

./setup (or ./configure -manual make make install)

Type in kernel and chip name when requested.
PCT789T

I got an error message about insmod and it did not automatically install.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/pctel.o http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/ptserial.o
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/README.pctel

insmod pctel
insmod ptserial

If the latter does not insert properly add vendor_id=0x134d device_id=0x7895 (or 7896)

I have a PCT789T-C1.

My vendor_id and device_id are found in the README list as 134d:7895 or 7896 and might be needed if the drivers do not install. They should be
listed in /proc/pci.

There are no instructions for making special tty's as for lucent modems.

I have not tested these drivers. I was so excited that they compiled on the first try in 3 seconds that I wanted to share the news.

I am hoping this newer PCI modem will be more stable than my two old external ones. A friend said he doubled his connection speed on a noisy line with a new USB modem. (from 28 to 56K). He is almost grateful that the bad capacitors on his board destroyed the onboard modem. (We replaced the caps).

Several other linmodem brands have drivers.