baslinux - Re: [BL] Linux book

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Linux book
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 15:16:16 +0000 (UTC)

You have Rute, and, IIRC, Running Linux.

Running Linux hasn't arrived yet. But they did say 4 to 6 weeks,
and it is only just 5 weeks and a few days.

This was a commercial online seller, but I have not been able to
contact them. Messages left on their help page get an automatic
response that an email has been sent to me.

But all emails from that site are being rejected by my ISP, They
say it doesn't ping as a genuine sending address, so their mail
system automatically rejects them as spam.

That may be some peculiarity of their setup, or it may be a sign
of something worse.

If you buy through Amazon you have some protection.
I cancelled one order after two months.

And they have no means of making contact apart from that help
page. No email addresses, no snail mail addresses, no phone
number.

So I am looking around for another copy, preferrably within
Australia to keep the postage down.
Can you stop payment on the credit card?
. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E

I found 2nd edition Running Linux at www.bookware.com.au for $27 (1996).

It should be considerably cheaper to pay postage and get it used from one of the many sellers listed by amazon.com. For 38 cents or 40 cents plus postage you can get the 3rd edition (1999) which is coeval with SW4.0. I learned a lot from 2nd edition. What is postage from the US?

http://yellow.com.au for Greater Adelaide lists several 'Antiquarian Books' places, with address and phone number.

http://adelaide.craigslist.org
category for sale/wanted - search for linux (nothing listed now but you can post a wanted)

http://ebay.com.au Redhat Linux 6.1 $1.99 buy it now and others for Redhat or Fedora.