baslinux - Re: [BL] Linux book

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Linux book
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:50:40 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, Greg Mayman wrote:

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 15:16:16 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:

If you buy through Amazon you have some protection.

I think I'll stick with them in future.

Can you stop payment on the credit card?

It went through last month. That's one thing they were very quick at.

If they want to keep working with the credit card company they will have to refund the amount if the book does not arrive.

I found 2nd edition Running Linux at www.bookware.com.au for $27 (1996).

It should be considerably cheaper to pay postage and get it used from one
of the many sellers listed by amazon.com. For 38 cents or 40 cents plus
postage you can get the 3rd edition (1999) which is coeval with SW4.0. I
learned a lot from 2nd edition.

Yes, that is probably right. I am not familiar with how amazon.com works.

What is postage from the US?

Postage from one side of Aus to another on a medium sized book is about
$10. I guess from US to Aus might be double that.

That sounds rather high. No special book rate?
But still cheaper than a new book.

http://yellow.com.au for Greater Adelaide lists several 'Antiquarian
Books' places, with address and phone number.

I know all of the local ones very well, and several others that they are
in communication with: "Sorry, we don't handle any computer books. They
go out of date too quickly."

http://ebay.com.au
Redhat Linux 6.1 $1.99 buy it now and others for Redhat or Fedora.

I have left a request with ebay to email me daily if a copy of Running
comes up.

Try craigslist.

As you may have guessed by now, I am very new to online buying -- one
purchase from ebay, and this failure from another seller.

Thanks for the advice. I shall indeed be MUCH more careful in future.

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v