baslinux - Re: [BL] ethernet cards

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ethernet cards
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:02:32 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:16:40 +1300, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Ron Clarke wrote:

>> the file - what_nic.zip - has disappeared.

> It only worked with old NICs (at least 10 years old).

Ah ! Then it won't do for what Greg or I want it for. :(

>> In the Arachne archives, there is mention of it also being
>> at ichi ? Was this at your website, Steven,

> Yes. I made that zip (as well as all the other oldpc files).

I shoulda known ! :)

>> and do you still have it ?

> No. But it wouldn't be too difficult to recreate it.

I gather it was just a boot of a linux kernel that looked for known
(at the time) ethernet cards, and recorded the results in dmesg ?

Pity ! I am still trying to find out what module(s) I can use to
get either BL3 or BL2 to fire up the unknown ethernet on the motherboard
of my new machine. It is a Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 with a nForce4-4X chipset.
Newer distros (SW 10, Knoppix 5, Suse 10, Ubuntu) all take it in their
stride, but neither BL3 or DOS can even spot the bloody thing !

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke
Tadpole Tunes http://www.tadpoletunes.com