baslinux - Re: [BL] Subject: Re: i810 Chip and Uclibc for BL (was: ....) 1E

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Subject: Re: i810 Chip and Uclibc for BL (was: ....) 1E
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 05:39:42 +0000 (UTC)

ZGV 5.5, Copyright (C) 1993-2001 Russell Marks

What chipset is specified in /etc/vga/libvga.config?

There is only one chipset on my box. So it must be using it.
But I have no interest in running zgv, which I have told you on
several occassions, so I'm obviously not going to bother looking
at the config file.

If you look at /etc/vga/libvga.config in Debian (for the sake of understanding what I said) you will see that you can specify

chipset VGA
or
chipset VESA

Since Debian works with zgv and BL3 does not, on your i810 video, the difference might be in libvga.config, or maybe Debian has later libvga*.so libraries which can use your video.

Possibly a later libvga works with your chip, and not the older one from
Slackware 4.0.

In the post you are replying to, I said I didn't have those libs on BL.
How could I know whether they worked or not? I don't have any apps that use
them and don't plan to have any.

If you ever decide to print at home, you might want to use gs, which for Slackware 4.0 is based on those libraries. If you only print and do not view, it might work anyway. Or perhaps you could compile the 1.4.3 versions for libc5. Or compile a uclibc gs.

I don't expect Xvesa to work well for my i810 chip, any more than I would
expect
Xi810 to work well for a different chip.

i810 may not be completely VESA compatible.

Using the framebuffer with an i810 chip is an entirely different matter.
Support is being developed, but it's not stable yet. The fb server for X
is just one of numerous servers available. One of those is the i810 server,
which has been around for many years. Here are some relevant links.

http://i810fb.sourceforge.net/

Interesting. I may try the i810 again some day. It is not very useful in DOS (only 1MB RAM). In linux I use only cards with good fb support - Riva, Matrox, Tseng, newer ATI (Xvesa requires bypassing config.sys).

In Debian, with zgv, what is your best resolution and color depth?

http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/i810.html

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful