baslinux - Re: [BL] Subject: Re: i810 Chip and Uclibc for BL (was: ....) 1E

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Subject: Re: i810 Chip and Uclibc for BL (was: ....) 1E
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 20:39:33 +0000

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 03:53:25AM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

> >> You also don't have a video chip that supports svgalib.
> >
> > I run zgv on debian. Which is on the same box as BL. And uses the
> > same chip, i810.
> >
> > Where I have both of those libraries.
> >
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 375760 Feb 1 2005 libvga.so.1.4.3
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 57456 Feb 1 2005 libvgagl.so.1.4.3
> >
> > -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 211036 Dec 11 2001 zgv
> >
> > ZGV 5.5, Copyright (C) 1993-2001 Russell Marks
>
> What chipset is specified in /etc/vga/libvga.config?

There is only one chipset on my box. So it must be using it.
But I have no interest in running zgv, which I have told you on
several occassions, so I'm obviously not going to bother looking
at the config file.

> Possibly a later libvga works with your chip, and not the older one from
> Slackware 4.3.

In the post you are replying to, I said I didn't have those libs on BL.
How could I know whether they worked or not? I don't have any apps that use
them and don't plan to have any.

> David Moberg compiled a recent version in his 1-floppy-disk USB linux boot
> disk which Christof recently used. From my site or David's. With the
> 1.4.3 libvga compiled against uclibc.
>
> > It has been supported by X11 since 3.3.5.
> >
> > And 3.3.6, which I use on debian, works very well.
> >
> > [delete]

> >> What progress?
> >
> > Setting up the main source config file, host.def. Takes a lot of
> > reading for someone like me who doesn't know graphics or X very
> > well. I'm learning a lot.
>
> Much more than if it all worked out of the box.

Any distribution of X comes with _numerous_ servers, because all video
chips are not alike.

If one is willing to install a bunch of big config apps and
_their_ support utilities, for X, and compile all the different
servers to begin with, then it finds the right server for the
chip.

That's how all the major distros do it, though they do the
compiling for you.

Almost anyone trying to install and configure X on a tiny linux distro is
going to have problems.

Look at what Steven has gone through.

I don't expect Xvesa to work well for my i810 chip, any more than I would
expect
Xi810 to work well for a different chip.

> > So far, I have compiled quite a few libc6 apps with it, and
> > all is fine. It already has most of what's on BL3.
> >
> > I suspect those bugs involve multi-media apps that I'm not
> > interested in.
>
> xfbdev that David compiled crashes if you switch terminals.
> And some things just would not compile for him.

Using the framebuffer with an i810 chip is an entirely different matter.
Support is being developed, but it's not stable yet. The fb server for X
is just one of numerous servers available. One of those is the i810 server,
which has been around for many years. Here are some relevant links.

http://i810fb.sourceforge.net/

http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/i810.html

Lee

--