baslinux - Re: [BL] Fw: Re: Tiny Linux in General 3

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Fw: Re: Tiny Linux in General 3
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 11:15:13 +0000

On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 06:30:47AM +1300, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> Lee Forrest wrote:
> >
> > At a typical dialup speed of 1.3KB/s, an hour of listening to
> > music requires downloading a 4.7MB file. If higher speeds are
> > needed, the file would, of course, be larger.
> >
> > Even if you don't run a GUI you have to have the software and
> > hardware to make your screen and keyboard function.
>
> We've already got that. mplayer works fine with BasicLinux
> running on a 486.

That surprises me. But then, I don't know anything about that
sort of software, because my computer doesn't make any sound
but "beep" and the whir of the hdd.

I like listening to the radio, often, news/talk and music, when I
am at my computer.

> > Pretty hard to access the internet for mail or web or ftp
> > when your entire bandwidth is taken up by a radio station
>
> Yes, there are internet radio stations that take up (or exceed)
> the entire dial-up bandwidth. However, there are plenty that
> don't. I regularly listen to a 16kb station while browsing the
> web and sending/receiving emails. Works fine.

I would guess that you are talking about talk/news radio. Hard to
imagine hi-fidelity music being effectively transferred at that
speed.

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful