baslinux - Re: [BL] I have done a foolish thing...

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] I have done a foolish thing...
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 14:45:25 +0000 (UTC)

That must have been a very old floppy, as it doesn't recognize FAT32
partitions (any DOS/Win9x partition larger than 2 GB). You can download
a Win98 boot floppy from http://bootdisk.com. Boot from the floppy and
type "fdisk /mbr".

I presume this is to unload lilo from the master boot record (which is not a partition so you cannot repartition to remove it). Does not BL3.40 2-floppy set have lilo on it already, which you could run with a switch to remove it (lilo -u or /u ?).

You should not need to install Caldera Linux in order to read the help files on it, just mount the CD (mount /dev/hdc /mnt if secondary master, or dmesg|less to see if it is hdc first, it could be hdb or hdd) and read from it. Look for HOWTOS, and man pages in man format - and ignore the tags. Or get man2html from a Slackware package and gunzip and convert the man pages, then read with links. There is a discussion about this in the archives if you want to make a script.

Caldera is the worst linux I have tried for older hardware.