baslinux - [BL] backspace and X servers

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] backspace and X servers
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 15:51:04 +0000 (UTC)

Using a standard IBM 101-key keyboard, in BL2, the backspace works properly with Xvesa (and icewm) but not with the SVGA X server, until I add to /root/.xinitrc the line (at the beginning of the file):

xmodmap /var/X11R6/lib/etc/xmodmap.84

xmodmap.84 is a file I made which remaps the backspace key in X and also the number pad keys so that they will work as arrow keys and Home/PgUp etc on my 84-key keyboard. It specifies ALL the keymappings.

I remapped my CLI keyboard as well, so PgUp would act like Page Up to let me press Shift-PgUp to see the preceding screen. No need for a mouse and scrollbar. (CLI is text-mode without X - command line interface).

I have in etc/rc.d/rc.M (or in BL3 /etc/rc).

/usr/bin/loadkeys << EOF
shift keycode 73 = Scroll_Backward
shift keycode 81 = Scroll_Forward
EOF

This could also have been done by loading a new keymap (as for X).

There is a similar simpler way to fix the backspace in X, see the archives under keyboard and backspace.