baslinux - Re: [BL] ISA lucent modem

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ISA lucent modem
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 21:23:48 +0000 (UTC)

The friend for whose daughter we made a linux/opera computer brought his own by for some fixes. Win98FE with some vxd files missing at boot time. Did an upgrade for 2 hours and the vxd files are still missing and it put all the AOL/MSN junk back. He said he needed a modem driver. He had the driver, it dialed and connected and refuses to access any websites (no DNS numbers used, the provider provides them). I have a laptop like that - goes online with a winmodem and can't even ping, will not recognize a hardware modem but the latter works perfectly in BL3.

After seeing a demo of linux he asked if we could add it to his computer.
His modem (which dials) is a lucent pci modem.

He had a D: partition with a second copy of OFFICE, some drivers that he had forgotten about which I moved the C: and a 1.2GB 1999 file in bkpimg which I deleted. I made a 200MB ext2 partition instead of an extended with 2.4GB, and left space for BL2 some day. He wants to switch over gradually to linux.

I copied over a tgz from another computer to which I had added abiword and a few other things for someone else (not the 9 year old) and it works out of the box with Xvesa (Riva video).

The ltmodem works perfectly and I am online with it now.

It took about 15 minutes to install BL3, mainly for removing the junk in D: and making a partition. We had spent at least 2 hours trying to make Windows work online.

He hates IE, prefers Opera, and thought he needed WORD for writing letters until I showed him how to print text with cat filename > /dev/lp0, and read USB memory sticks with 'usb-on' from a menu in X, and type o for opera.

THere is a PCI wireless network card which looks like a v3 WPC11, which I will eventually set up in linux. insmod hermes and orinoco?

Three out of four computers we did this week are linux (the other being for 7 kids in daycare who brought us pictures of computers and mice and each other).