baslinux - Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 13:16:55 -0600

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 10:48:05AM -0800, Hermang Mansilla wrote:

> I have made a small initrd that loads usb modules and
> mounts the usb drive then mounts the loop filesystem
> in subdir baslin.
> It is only 100kB
> if ytour pc has WinXP and cant boot directly from usb
> then you can use syslinux to create a boot flopy
> copy a kernel and this initrd and it will boot very
> fast.
> I will post the initrd or send by email if someone is
> interested

Are you talking about running BL from a USB drive? I can't quite tell from
your description.
If so, this could be a great boon for BL. It would provide another good way
for folks to
test and/or use BL. I did this sort for thing for DamnSmallLinux (made a
floppy that would
allow me to boot a DSL installation located on a USB drive): did you maybe
run across some
of my postings across the 'net on accomplishing this? I used an existing
initrd from a
distro called RUNT and simply spliced into the initrd the right USB modules
for the kernel I
wanted to run. A big part of the trick was getting the kernel to wait a bit
before booting
from the USB drive so that the root filesystem would be in existence when the
kernel wanted
to continue the boot process. The RUNT author had discovered how to do this
and edited his
linuxrc script accordingly. Assuming that you've accomplished this sort of
thing (i.e.,
booting a BL installation that resides on a USB drive), did you create your
own initrd, or
use an already-existing one? Which kernel/modules did you use?

Let us know more about what you did so we can determine how useful it might
be for other BL
users/testers.

James