baslinux - Re: [BL] The latest version of setserial (n)

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: qx84-pvhu AT dea.spamcon.org
  • Cc: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] The latest version of setserial (n)
  • Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 07:33:24 +1300

Lee Forrest wrote:

> This is the serial driver source built into my debian
> kernel (2.4.19). It has functionalities specifically
> created for the type of card I have.

Is it one of these?
DZ11 Serial Support
CONFIG_DZ
DZ11-family serial controllers for VAXstations, including
the DC7085, M7814, and M7819.

Z85C30 Serial Support
CONFIG_ZS
Zilog 85C350 serial communications controller
see <http://www.zilog.com/pdfs/serial/z85c30.pdf>

CONFIG_SERIAL_NONSTANDARD
Say Y here if you have any non-standard serial boards -- boards
which aren't supported using the standard "dumb" serial driver.
This includes intelligent serial boards such as Cyclades,
Digiboards, etc. These are usually used for systems that need many
serial ports because they serve many terminals or dial-in
connections.

Support more than 4 serial ports
CONFIG_SERIAL_MANY_PORTS
Say Y here if you have dumb serial boards other than the four
standard COM 1/2/3/4 ports. This may happen if you have an AST
FourPort, Accent Async, Boca (read the Boca mini-HOWTO, available
via FTP (user: anonymous) from
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini), or other custom
serial port hardware which acts similar to standard serial port
hardware. If you only use the standard COM 1/2/3/4 ports, you can
say N here to save some memory. You can also say Y if you have an
"intelligent" multiport card such as Cyclades, Digiboards, etc.

Support for sharing serial interrupts
CONFIG_SERIAL_SHARE_IRQ
Some serial boards have hardware support which allows multiple dumb
serial ports on the same board to share a single IRQ. To enable
support for this in the serial driver, say Y here.

Auto detect IRQ on standard ports (unsafe)
CONFIG_SERIAL_DETECT_IRQ
Say Y here if you want the kernel to try to guess which IRQ
to use for your serial port. This is considered unsafe; it
is far better to configure the IRQ in a boot script using the
setserial command.

Support special multiport boards
CONFIG_SERIAL_MULTIPORT
Some multiport serial ports have special ports which are used to
signal when there are any serial ports on the board which need
servicing. Say Y here to enable the serial driver to take advantage
of those special I/O ports.

SGI Zilog85C30 serial support
CONFIG_SGI_SERIAL
If you want to use your SGI's built-in serial ports under Linux,
answer Y.

Support the Bell Technologies HUB6 card
CONFIG_HUB6
Say Y here to enable support in the dumb serial driver to support
the HUB6 card.

Any of those can be added to the BL3 kernel. Most (all?) of
those are already in bzimage.big. Have you tried bzimage.big
with the new setserial?

> On BL3 I created the file /dev/ttyS4 and made sure mode and
> permissions matched the ones on my debian.

It appears to me that you will need CONFIG_SERIAL_MANY_PORTS
in the kernel. bzimage.big has that.

> Pretty sure I need the 5.05c driver.

Why? Kernel 2.2.26 is only a couple of years old.
Is your hardware newer than that?

> How can I get a compiler on BL3?

In a previous message, I listed the foundation packages
you need to install (from Slackware 4.0).

> I don't know how to use slack packages.

It's exactly the same as with BL3 packages.
You use the pkg command to install them.

> I think I should try to compile that serial driver into
> the big kernel.

Which serial driver? As far as I can see, all the serial
drivers are already in the big kernel.