baslinux - Re: [BL] OSS drivers for onboard sound

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] OSS drivers for onboard sound
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:54:07 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

IBM Netvista 2276-30U, with ADI 1885 soundmax sound as part of Intel
chipset 810,

Intel 810 chipsets typically use the i810_audio.o module. I think that
module also needs ac97_codec.o and the usual sound.o and soundcore.o.

The HP with the same onboard video probably has the same onboard sound
integrated into Intel 810. Both SW7.1 and Steven's modules collection
include these two. Many thanks. We got mplayer working with add-in
esssolo1 card. To put back the onboard card, do I enable onboard audio
and also AC97 audio in BIOS? (I will leave midi and gameport disabled).
What is AC97?

My 2.4.31 kernel is not compiled to use i810_audio.o but it does insert ac97_codec.o (used oligatorily after gameport, before sblive or es1371, among others). The 2.4.31 kernels will boot with mem=256M but the 2.2.X kernels need mem=255M in computers with disabled onboard video set to use 1MB onboard RAM. Neither HP nor IBM detected the RAM without this switch (they found 64MB).

I downloaded SW7.1 and 'big' 2.2.26 modules. My sound kernel is not compiled to accept i810_audio and it did not insert.

I tried the 2.2.26 'big' kernel with BL2 and BL3, assuming that if Steven posted the modules they would insert. They would not insert.

'Can't handle sections of type 11 [or 1685024046]. Invalid argument'

Was the big kernel compiled to accept these modules? They are in the online collection but I don't see them in config.big and I don't have help files for this kernel.

David or Steven, can you insert ac97_codec.o in the big kernel?

My SW7.1 sound kernel does not include i810 so that might be why it did not work.

2.4.31 Configure.help has an i810.o for graphics but no mention of i810 audio or AD1885. How do I compile for it?

DVD sound does not appear to need a cable to the sound card to play DVDs, unlike music CDs.