baslinux - Re: [BL] ATI RAGE 264GT PCI video card now usable with fb and xfbdev for X

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ATI RAGE 264GT PCI video card now usable with fb and xfbdev for X
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 19:06:19 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Has anyone on this list used svgalib with a mach64 chip?

I have mach64 video on my main computer. I just
booted BL1 and orb, minesweeper, etc. work fine.

There are warnings about destroying your hardware
with the wrong settings.

I only ran the vgalib applications for a couple of
minutes. No smoke, so far. :-)

I am supposed to probe for clock settings - how?

I didn't. I just booted the ramdisk BL1 and executed: fun

As I said, all ATI cards are different. Perhaps the older ones work better with vgalib than the newer ones. Thanks for checking.

But my partner likes zgv, which NEEDS svgalib.

Will his version of zgv work with BL1? You could make

It is libc6 from Delilinux. We could try David's uclibc version from his single-floppy USB linux, which needs libm.so.0, libc.so.0, and a uclibc libvga.so.1.4.3 which is not yet on that computer. (And manage without links and mplayer in svga mode). I would really prefer to get svgalib working with mach64 on all our cards.

a wee BL1 ramdisk with zgv just for him. It would even
be possible to bypass the login and go straight to zgv.
Or perhaps you'd rather use chroot?

He wants to view photos in full color at 1280, not VGA mode, when editing them with netpbm. And VGA mode did not work with the Delilinux zgv any better than VESA or MACH64. Wrong clock settings?

The onboard video (if you don't use Xfree 4) only goes to 1024-8bit and our camera does 1280-24bit and it would be a nuisance to keep switching video chips.

He could use a different computer for photos.