baslinux - [BL] OSS drivers for onboard sound

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] OSS drivers for onboard sound
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:43:23 +0000 (UTC)

HP 8754C - without lspic or sndconfig how do I determine the chip?
The specs list it as 'onboard sound'. I found info for ALSA.

IBM Netvista 2276-30U, with ADI 1885 soundmax sound as part of Intel chipset 810, for which I have only found info for ALSA.

When did ALSA start being used? How difficult would it be to add it to BL2?

Both computers are from year 2000, 800MHz. We replaced 4 bad caps on the IBM (memtest was crashing on test 8 and with heavy graphics usage) and the hard drive in the HP (it is fussy, that drive worked in three other computers). The HP still uses 1MB onboard RAM for the onboard video when you put in a PCI video card so I set linux to use 1MB less RAM than actually there. mem=127 if you have 128MB DIMMs.

There are two oddball short slots in the IBM and only three PCI. We added video (onboard has only 1MB and no frame buffer) and network card. We would like the third slot for the USB 2.0 card (to use with our 80GB $2 USB external drive). We have an external hardware modem.

So I would like to get onboard sound working with this computer, which might be fast enough for DVDs without framebuffer.

If I were buying new I would avoid onboard sound and video, but the IBM works fine with BL3 and BL2 otherwise. The onboard video does run Xvesa but only up to 1024/256 colors which is not suitable for our camera (1280-16M) or playing DVDs even at 800x600, since it would have to reduce colors and thus display more slowly.

We were also given two faster bad-caps boards with AC97 sound onboard (to be returned when fixed since we have no use for them, or DDR RAM, and they are space heaters.)

What does this mean and can they be used with OSS? The IBM sound is ADI AC'97 Soundmax 1885.

We were also given a probably working 700MHz board with onboard sound.