baslinux - Re: [BL] OSS drivers for onboard sound

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] OSS drivers for onboard sound
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 00:43:42 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

HP 8754C - without lspic or sndconfig how do I determine the chip?
The specs list it as 'onboard sound'. I found info for ALSA.

IBM Netvista 2276-30U, with ADI 1885 soundmax sound as part of Intel
chipset 810, for which I have only found info for ALSA.

When did ALSA start being used? How difficult would it be to add it to
BL2?

I read the mini-sound-howto for Slackware 7.1 and there are ALSA drivers for SW4.0 and newer ones for SW7.1, and their list did not include the Soundmax one but the source code seems to be available now. Nor does SW7.1 modules directory contain the modules snd-mixer-oss.o and snd-pcm1-oss.o, which I would need to compile somehow. Nor did Steven provide them for the BL3.40 'big' kernel. I would need to make at least one new sound device /dev/snd/pcmC0D1 or /dev/cpmXY, and use amixer set PCM 100 unmute to unmute the card, and probably compile the kernel
to accept these modules.

Has anyone already managed to use ALSA sound with BL3 or BL2 and if so please explain how you did it.

In the meantime I am using 2 of my 3 remaining PCI sound cards to replace the onboard sound in these ISA-less boards. I have around 20 nice ISA sound cards, most SB and powered, all working with BL.