baslinux - Re: [BL] ftpd

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <SheldonIsaac AT MyRealBox.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ftpd
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 17:12:48 -0400

On 18 Sep 2006 at 7:57, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> Are you saying a router is needed to give XP an IP address?
> That doesn't sound right to me. But, of course, I know zilch
> about XP.
>
> Isn't there something in Windows networking (point & click)
> that sets a TCP/IP address? If you can find it in your XP
> computer, does it show a current IP address? If not, can
> you set one?

One would think XP is similar to Win9x in that it can do either a fixed IP
address or DHCP.

For a few years*, this computer (called asus because that's the brand of
motherboard it has) had an address of 192.168.1.2 in Windows 98.

One right-clicks the "Network Neighborhood" icon, then Properties, the
TCP/IP protocol item, and then the IP address tab.
Once there, the choices are

"Obtain an IP address automatically"

or

"Specify an IP address"

Thanks,
Sheldon

* Now I have a router, which assigns addresses starting with 192.168.1.100